Build Your Arts Portfolio Using WordPress
What You'll Learn
This four-week course is designed for artists and designers who would like to take charge of their website to showcase their art or design work. Many artists have websites that are either outdated or use technology that makes it difficult to keep up to date. In this course, you will become both your own webmaster and designer and take full ownership of your website. You will create a contemporary site you can be proud to show others.
You will be expected to work on your website in the week between each class and complete assignments during this time (such as prepare and organize images or add content to pages).
At the end of the course, you will have a fully functional website that you can manage yourself.
NOTE: This course runs on FOUR Wednesdays, 1PM - 4PM . Please attend all four sessions as make-up classes will not be available. Dates are:
Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 1pm - 4pm
Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 1pm - 4pm
Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 1pm - 4pm
Wednesday, August 1, 2018 - 1pm - 4pm
What You Will Do
The instructor will provide the WP Jump Start theme to all class participants. Participants will be responsible for a purchasing a theme license after class for $89/year (unlimited sites). The theme license allows you to contact the theme developer for support, receive theme updates, and use the theme on other sites.
Using the WP Jump Start theme and a variety of plugins, you will:
- Brand your site with a choice of fonts and colors along with your logo
- Manage your art/design portfolio items in an organized way
- Create a blog or article archive
- Customize a home page that showcases who you are and what you do
- Learn the best image sizing and optimization techniques
- Create image galleries to display a series of art or installations with many photos
- Add a contact form to your contact page
- Protect your site from hackers and spammers
- Familiarity with the WordPress interface and understand basic concepts including how to create posts and pages or have taken WordPress for Beginners - How to Run Your Own Site/Blog.
- Good WordPress hosting set up in advance with a domain name pointed to the host and the latest WordPress already installed. (Note: The instructor will reach out to participants in advance to confirm your WordPress setup will work for the course. It will be your responsibility to make sure you have a properly configured site to work on before class starts. The instructor is available on a consulting basis for an additional fee, if needed.)
- Good skills for managing files on your computer.
- A laptop that has sufficient speed to work in class and can connect to the internet reliably.
- Organized content and images ready to use during class. (Instruction will be provided on how to size and optimize images.)
- Ability to do homework between classes.
- A private, 20-30 minute session with the Instructor to ensure your hosting account is up-to-date and ready to use!
Additional Information About the Instructor
Angela Bowman was the Communications Director for the Boulder County Arts Alliance for five years. In this capacity, she worked with hundreds of artists assisting them in grant writing, exhibit opportunities, and publicity. She has been using WordPress since 2007 and teaching at Boulder Digital Arts since 2009.
She taught this course in the Photography and New Media studio at Anderson Ranch. Angela is the webmaster for North Boulder Art District and is passionate about helping artists build their online presence.
Following are websites built using the WordPress theme that will be taught during this class:
Who Should Take This
This class is designed for visual artists who have unique works or collections of art to showcase on their website. Please note: This class is NOT IDEAL for photographers since the plugins best for managing photographs will not be covered.
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman has worked with WordPress since 2007 after learning about it in a class at Boulder Digital Arts. Since then, she has made a career of building custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and local businesses. Her blog AskWPGirl.com has gained an international following for its clear instruction on a variety of WordPress topics. Angela presents at WordCamps and Meetups and co-organizes the Boulder WordPress Builders Meetup. She is passionate about making the learning process engaging and satisfying by including students in discussions and providing easy-to-follow instructions along with thorough class notes.
BDA Members: $499.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
I am so absolutely thrilled to have a new functional website! Loved learning from Angela and her intern, Jill. The class moved rapidly but details were explained clearly and efficiently. Her teaching style worked for me! I’m equally thrilled that I now have a fundamental understanding of Wordpress and will be able to maintain my site as well. For the most part, I think I could do this again on my own! That feels like such an accomplishment after years of stressing and worrying about how to get a website accomplished. Never would it have been possible without Angela’s class.ShiereRead All Comments