Understanding and Investing In Cryptocurrencies
What You'll Learn
Part of our Digital Essentials series, these fast-paced, 2-hour workshops are designed to introduce you to cutting-edge topics quickly and affordably. These workshops explore transformative tools, technologies and ideas that can truly empower you in work, life and creative pursuits.
￼Cryptocurrencies have been in the news a lot lately as a result of their absolutely explosive growth and growing interest from retail investors. In this fast-pasted, 2-hour course we'll cover blockchains and what they are, how to devise a trading strategy, introduce you to basic technical analysis, and get you set up on one of the most popular exchanges in the world so you can start trading immediately.
Part 1: What is a Cryptocurrency?
- Centralized vs. decentralized data storage
- Introduce blockchain as concept using Bitcoin as an example
- Briefly touch on "consensus" algorithms
- High level history of generations of cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin > Ethereum > others Why do cryptocurrencies have value?
Part 2: Developing a Trade Strategy
- How much time do you want to spend investing: full time, part time, 1 hr/mo? These will determine your investment strategy. General rule of thumb, less time you want to spend, the longer term your strategy.
- Overview of common strategies: day trading, momentum trading, short term investing, arbitrage, long term, etc.
- Warning about tax implications
Part 3: Technical Analysis and Research Tools
- Coinigy.com, ArbMatrix, or TokenSpread
- Moving Average Convergence Divergence
- Coin Market Cap and Relative Strength Index
Part 4: Making Your First Trade
- Coinbase accounts and their different types of trades
- Market vs. limit
- Stop loss
- Take profit
- Intro to other exchanges
Nothing contained on this website or at any of Boulder Digital Arts classes and workshops should be used or construed as an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a recommendation for any security. Nor is it intended as investment, tax, financial or legal advice. Investors should seek such professional advice for their particular situation.
A video of this class is available for immediate viewing from only $10!See Video Details
Bonus! in-person registrants can purchase the video at half-price after attending the class!
Presented By Chris Eigner
Chris Eigner is the Chief Technology Officer at Colorado Blockchain Capital, one of the first few digital asset hedge funds in the world. He has over 10 years experience building software and managing teams. He got started building applications on Facebook before moving on to a payments company in San Francisco where he managed 20 people across 3 teams. This year he married his interests in cryptocurrencies and finance by starting a hedge fund with two other partners.