Getting Started with Adobe Illustrator
What You'll Learn
Create logos, illustrations, and artwork that can be displayed at any size and never lose quality! Adobe Illustrator is the industry-leading application for creating vector graphics, perfect for images with solid colors, crisp lines, and gradients.
The first half of this workshop includes an overview of the Illustrator interface and tools. In the second half, the instructor will demonstrate how to create a vector illustration.
This workshop will cover:
- Using the pen tool to draw Bezier-curves
- Working with paths and strokes
- Using the color palette and gradients
- Combining basic shapes to create new, complex shapes
- Scaling and rotating
- Clipping paths
- Placing text
- Fun effects like the Symbol Sprayer Tool and Extrude and Bevel effect
- Saving your files
Presented in Adobe Creative Cloud, but most of what is taught will apply to earlier versions of the program.
What to Expect
- As this is a beginner's level workshop, it will not cover advanced Illustrator techniques, but stick more to a basic program "overview" and "demonstration".
- As a lecture-style workshop, we do not encourage you to bring your laptop with the Illustrator program to "follow along". Trying to keep up as the instructor demonstrates the program might prove to be very problematic as the instructor has no time to slow his course or stop and help each individual students navigate the nuances of this program via their own computers.
- Moving to Illustrator from other software solutions is a detailed and time consuming task and this workshop does *not* cover how to do that.
- If you're hoping for a more hands-on, experienced based class where the class is structured around you using the program to practice what you're learning, this workshop might not be the best first for you. Ineasted, we suggest having a look at our all-day Adobe Illustrator Hands-On Class.
Who Should Take This
Anyone who wants to be a graphic designer, or learn how to do their own graphic design in-house. You should learn Illustrator if you want to create logos, posters, and other bold graphics, or use text in your designs.
Presented By Kevin Menzie
Kevin Menzie runs a local web strategy, design, and development agency called Slice of Lime and uses Adobe Illustrator on a daily basis. In his free time, Kevin draws cartoons using a pencil, a scanner, and Adobe Illustrator. Samples of his illustration work can be seen on his website: http://www.kevinmenzie.com/.
BDA Members: $69.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
Terrific class and terrific teacher! Organized, perfectly paced and completely packed with useful hands-on immediately helpful information and techniques. Also very inspiring. It is a delicate thing to do enough masterly things with students to show them what is possible as skills grow without discouraging them about the gap between beginner and skilled teacher. Kevin Menzie is approachable as well as organized and knowledgeable. There was just enough tweaking of interest and inspiration to learn added to a solid covering of the foundations.LynnRead All Comments