Maintaining Your WordPress Website to Prevent Hacking & Data Loss
What You'll Learn
Note - This class is designed for people who manage a self-hosted WordPress website and are familiar with general WordPress concepts, such as posts, pages, categories, and media. If you do not have a WordPress site or are just getting started using WordPress, we recommend you take WordPress for Beginners before this class.
Did you know that outdated WordPress versions, plugins, and themes can leave your website vulnerable to attack and cause broken functionality? Do you know how to effectively backup both your WordPress database and uploaded files? Do you know how to recover from the "white screen of death" if an update fails or breaks your site? Do you use basic security on your site including two-step login authentication, updated encryption salts, not using admin as the user name, super strong passwords, VPN over wifi, and basic security plugins?
If you answered "no" to any of these questions, this three-hour hands-on workshop is for you!
This workshop will take you step by step through:
- Creating a new administrator-level account and deleting the old "admin" account.
- Enforcing strong passwords for all users.
- Correcting server file permissions.
- Enabling a firewall and limiting login attempts via a security plugin.
- Updating your login encryption salts.
- Updating your plugins, theme, and WordPress safely and what to do if an update "breaks"your site.
- Changing your WordPress database prefix.
- Setting up regular backups.
- Enabling two-step authentication to your login page.
- Avoiding insecure WiFi logins by using https or a VPN.
You will need to come to class with your laptop/WiFi enabled computer. If you do not have a portable computer, you can use one of BDA's iMacs for an additional charge of $23.
Be sure to bring the following to class:
- WordPress Dashboard administrative username and password
- Web hosting control panel login to use the File Manager and view server backups
- FTP login (optional if you have your hosting control panel login)
WordPress.org is different from WordPress.com. WordPress.com is only for blogs and non-commercial sites. BDA's workshops cover WordPress.org.
Other WordPress Workshops at Boulder Digital Arts
Who Should Take This
WordPress users who need to make sure their sites are secure. You should already have a WordPress.org site up and running before taking this class. New to WordPress? Then take our WordPress for Beginners - How to Run Your Own Site/Blog before jumping into this class.
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman of MoonGooseDesigns.com and AskWPGirl.com has been involved with internet technologies since 1996 when she became a member of the online tech support team at Quark, Inc. After learning about WordPress at BDA, she became a full-time WordPress guru, serving individuals and small-to medium-size organizations. She stretches the boundaries of WordPress by making extensive use of its built-in features combined with judicious use of plugins and creative CSS. Angela will help you think outside the blog box by helping you understand the nuts and bolts of WordPress and to endlessly customize your WP themes.
BDA Members: $69.00
I love that I receive info I can put to work right away. She gives specifics that I appreciate, she presents clearly, concisely, and is well-prepared.DianeRead All Comments