Maintaining Your WordPress Website to Prevent Hacking & Data Loss
What You'll Learn
Note - This class is designed for people who manage a self-hosted WordPress website and are familiar with general WordPress concepts, such as posts, pages, categories, and media. If you do not have a WordPress site or are just getting started using WordPress, we recommend you take WordPress for Beginners before this class.
Did you know that outdated WordPress versions, plugins, and themes can leave your website vulnerable to attack and cause broken functionality? Do you know how to effectively backup both your WordPress database and uploaded files? Do you know how to recover from the "white screen of death" if an update fails or breaks your site? Do you use basic security on your site including two-step login authentication, updated encryption salts, not using admin as the user name, super strong passwords, VPN over wifi, and basic security plugins?
If you answered "no" to any of these questions, this three-hour hands-on workshop is for you!
This workshop will take you step by step through:
- Creating a new administrator-level account and deleting the old "admin" account.
- Enforcing strong passwords for all users.
- Correcting server file permissions.
- Enabling a firewall and limiting login attempts via a security plugin.
- Updating your login encryption salts.
- Updating your plugins, theme, and WordPress safely and what to do if an update "breaks"your site.
- Changing your WordPress database prefix.
- Setting up regular backups.
- Enabling two-step authentication to your login page.
- Avoiding insecure WiFi logins by using https or a VPN.
You will need to come to class with your laptop/WiFi enabled computer. If you do not have a portable computer, you can use one of BDA's iMacs for an additional charge of $23.
Be sure to bring the following to class:
- WordPress Dashboard administrative username and password
- Web hosting control panel login to use the File Manager and view server backups
- FTP login (optional if you have your hosting control panel login)
WordPress.org is different from WordPress.com. WordPress.com is only for blogs and non-commercial sites. BDA's workshops cover WordPress.org.
Other WordPress Workshops at Boulder Digital Arts
Who Should Take This
WordPress users who need to make sure their sites are secure. You should already have a WordPress.org site up and running before taking this class. New to WordPress? Then take our WordPress for Beginners - How to Run Your Own Site/Blog before jumping into this class.
Presented By Angela Bowman
Angela Bowman has worked with WordPress since 2007 after learning about it in a class at Boulder Digital Arts. Since then, she has made a career of building custom WordPress websites for nonprofits and local businesses. Her blog AskWPGirl.com has gained an international following for its clear instruction on a variety of WordPress topics. Angela presents at WordCamps and Meetups and co-organizes the Boulder WordPress Builders Meetup. She is passionate about making the learning process engaging and satisfying by including students in discussions and providing easy-to-follow instructions along with thorough class notes.
BDA Members: $69.00
Sorry, we don't have this event scheduled right now but we'll probably be adding it again soon! If you're interested in this event, we recommend using our follow feature to be notified the next time we add it to our schedule. You can also email us to request that we add it soon.
Most excellent.ArlanRead All Comments