BDA offers a formal video internship program as a way for people in the BDA community and those learning video production at Boulder Digital Arts to gain valuable real-world experience while building their portfolios by working on a variety of BDA productions.
The internship begins with a specially-designed, 6-week training program that is a combination of weekly classroom learning, excercises and practice (with our equipment), weekly assessements, and some limited homework. Training sessions are held once a week for two hours each (total of 12 hours) and there is a required knowledge/comprehension assessement each week. The training program covers the entire video production process from pre-production through the actual shoot. Along the way you'll learn how to operate all our equipment including video cameras, lighting, our Sling Studio live production system, microphones, audio mixers and more.
The time commitment for BDA's Video Production Internship program is a total of 5 months, including the training, which takes place throughout the internship. However, at the end of your internship, you can choose to stay on the BDA Productions crew for as long as you want, to gain added experience!
How To Apply
We hold four "onboarding" processes each year (once per quarter). So, if you're interested in participating in the internship program please apply with the button below, and let us know which onboarding time works best for you.
- January - May (Training starting in January)
- March - July (Training starting in March)
- May - September (Training starting in May)
- July - November (Training starting in July)
- Extensive training provided to become a better videographer.
- Learn how to live-stream events with a multi-camera production system.
- Gain experience, practical skills, and add to your video production portfolio of work.
- Use cutting-edge technology.
- Work on real-world productions with a crew of other interns and professionals.
- Receive training to be able to do all the "Responsibilities" listed below.
- Earn select free classes at BDA.
- Free access to all BDA OnDemand video classes.
- Opportunity for select interns to also learn editing skills.
Responsibilities during/after training:
- Training on and practicing with our video equipment to obtain intermediate skill level as a video shooter and editor.
- Planning, setting up, operating and tearing down video production gear for BDA productions.
- Pre-production and location scouting at a variety of Boulder/Denver-area shoot locations.
- Crewing in a variety of roles (videographer, technical director, editor, producer, etc.) for BDA productions at various Boulder/Denver-area locations.
- Working with our content partners to arrange and coordinate productions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively engage and coordinate with our content partners.
- Keen interest in professional video production and filmmaking with a drive to grow your experience and skill.
- Professional attitude and self-motivated, with the ability to work independently and under pressure when necessary.
- Some demonstrated experience in operating a video camera, including manually setting proper exposure, composition, and white balance, or completion of a relevant BDA certificate program.
- Ability to learn and retain technical skills and information.
- Positive attitude.
- Flexible schedule, including the ability to crew shoots that are scheduled during nights and weekends.